I’ve got a very special treat for you all today. This recipe has been in my family for decades. I remember countless Christmases making these delicious cookies with my grandma. Everyone in my family thinks these are the best cookies ever and it really just isn’t Christmas without them. They’re a perfect treat to make with your little ones, and my mom and I often make them with my boys. They love to decorate the cookies with the sugar sprinkles and nonpareils. Definitely give these a try this year if you’re looking for a delicious treat to leave out for Santa. They’re super quick and easy to whip up!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- With a handheld or stand mixer, cream together butter and powdered sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar
- Add flour and mix just until combined.
- Roll cookies into about 1 to 1 1/2″ balls and place on cookie sheet about 3″ apart.
- Dip a glass into sugar and flatten the cookies a bit. I often dip the glass into any remaining dough to get the sugar to stick, then dip it into the bowl of sugar.
- Decorate cookies with sugar sprinkles and nonpareils.
- Bake just until done, not brown, about 8-10 minutes. 9 ,minutes seems to be the magic number in our oven.
Jana Barnes says
I made them and everyone loved them!! Thank you! xoxo