Simple DIY Kid’s Bicycle Rack with Helmet Storage

Simple DIY Bicycle RackHey everyone!  I’m pretty excited to have finally checked an item off of my blogging bucket list.  I finally learned how to create my own printable plans!  This project came out of necessity.  As in, I needed it or I would I was going to lose my mind.  For all of you parents out there, I’m sure you can relate to the seemingly constant pile of bicycles and scooters.  I only have two kids, but I swear it feels like we have ten with the bikes, the scooters, the skateboards, etc.  If they lay their bikes on top of each other, the pedals get tangled in the spokes, helmets always get lost, you can’t walk through the garage, I could go on and on.  I decided enough was enough and came up with plans for a bike rack that would also hold their scooters AND helmets!  I’ve got the step-by-step tutorial for you, but you can also download the printable plans.

Shopping List:

• 3 – 2×4 @ 8′ long
  • 3 – 2×2 @ 8′ long
  • coathooks (I used 3)
  • paint color of your choice

Materials:

Cut List:

• 2 – 2×4 @ 17″
  • 4 – 2×4 @ 36″
  • 2 – 2×4 @ 30″
  • 11 – 2×2 cut at 45 degree angle on both ends, 22″ on the long edge.

Step 1:

Assemble the base. Drill 1 ½” pocket holes into 36” pieces. Using wood glue and 2 ½” pocket screws, clamp and attach to 17” side pieces.

assemble-bike-rack

Step 2:

Attach back. Drill 1 ½” pocket holes into 30” back pieces. Attach flush with back of base using wood glue and 2 ½” pocket screws.

bike rack plans 2

Step 3:

Attach cross supports. Drill 1 ½” pocket holes into each end of 36” cross pieces. Clamp and attach to back with wood glue and 2 ½” pocket screws. Attach top piece flush with top of back pieces. Attach middle brace 10 7/8” down from top piece.

diy-bike-rack
Step 4:

Attach 2x2s. Measure ½” in from each end of the base. Place 2×2 pieces on each end and drill a pilot hole into the top and bottom of the 2×2. Screw 2” wood screws into into the 2x2s attaching them to the base and the back, making sure to check for square on the back. Starting on one side, measure 2 ½” and attach the remaining 2×2 pieces.

diy-wood-bicycle-rack
Step 5:

Gather all of your supplies to paint the finished bicycle rack.  Straining the paint, even a brand new can, is so important.  You don’t want to get started painting and have to stop because there’s globs of paint clogging your sprayer.

homeright-finish-max

straining-paint

Step 6:

Dilute the paint.  I used water-based latex paint, so it’s diluted with water.  If you’re using oil-based paint, follow the instructions on the can for how to dilute it.  HomeRight includes all of the handy instructions on how much to dilute your paint, so you’ll get the optimum performance out of your Finish Max.

edited-9070

Step 7:

Paint the entire bike rack with 2-3 coats of paint.  I say up to 3 coats because the wood likes to soak up the paint, and it’s going to be used and abused by kids, so the more protection it can get the better.

edited-9072 edited-9078

Step 8:

Attach the coat hooks to the front of the bike rack to hang helmets.

edited-1057

My boys absolutely love their new bike rack!  They think it’s so cool that there’s room for their scooters and that they can hang their helmets up.  I think they got tired of losing them too.

diy bicycle rack helmet hooks for bike rack

Don’t forget to download the printable plans to build your own!  If you have built one, I’d love to see it!  Just shoot me an email with photos or give me a shoutout on social media to be featured!

DISCLOSURE:  I am HomeRight brand ambassador.  I was compensated and/or provided product for this post.  All opinions are 100% my own.  This post contains affiliate links.  If you purchase a product from one of these links, I will receive a commission at no extra cost to you.

Comments

Thanks Katie! My boys were really excited about it, but I think I’m even more excited than them!

says

What a great idea for bike storage. I love that you included plans for your readers. Thanks for using the Finish Max Sprayer to paint it. It looks great.

linnell says

YOU READ MY MIND. I’VE BEEN TRYING TO THINK HOW TO SOLVE THE BIKE PROBLEM (4 KIDS AND 2 PARENTS!) I ALSO HAPPEN TO HAVE AN OLD CRIB TO UPCYCLE. I’M GOING TO GO MEASURE AND SEE IF USE PART OF THE CRIB SLATS TO HOLD THE BIKES…. THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION:) And the plans!

That would be an awesome upcycle! And you can definitely just adjust the length of the bike rack to hold more bikes/scooters.

I would assume it would. You can always do a dry fit before attaching the 45 degree pieces and see if maybe you need to make a few of them spaced a little wider

says

YUP. DEFINITELY TRYING THIS ONE OUT. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS, MAN.

IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD, I COULD SEE BIKE RACKS THAT SPELL OUT NAMES (LAST NAMES I GUESS) I MEAN INSTEAD OF DIAGONAL RACKS WHERE THE WHEELS GO, THEY HAVE LETTERS! HOW DO YOU SUPPOSE THOSE ARE MADE”?

CHEERS! AND AWESOME WORK!!
    wITO SCHWARTZ recently posted…Awesome Mountain Bike Training ExercisesMy Profile

Tammy macdonald says

Made this today! Very easy and fits little kid bikes wonderfully. I adjusted the spacing to 3 1/2 inches for the razor scooters because I wanted them to fit in farther. Also it didn’t fit my older girls bicycles but I adjusted a few measurements and made a bigger one for them. Thanks for the free plans!!

I’m so happy that you like it! Yes, it’s so easy to customize it to fit whatever you like!

says

Jake says

This is a decent project, I took the afternoon to build it as I had a little time and some left over wood. I followed the instructions right up to the spacing of the slots… which was a mistake. If you build this try a couple different spacings before you glue and screw your slot boards in permanently. 2.5 inch spacing is too wide to hold up many tire sizes.

Yes, you definitely want to play around with the spacing for it to be the best fit for the size of bikes you are using in it. Since I am putting scooters in it too, I needed the spacing to be a little wider.

Rebekah says

Just getting into this whole DIY building scene… And those clamps are amazing. My whole life would be better… well, at least less frustrating, if I had a set of those. What are they called? Love the plans and will be using my scrap pile to make one of these this weekend for sure! Thank you!

They’re bar clamps. There are so many different kinds, but these were cheap ones from Harbor Freight.

Mike says

**Warning** This bike rack will not fit larger kids bikes very well and adult bikes will not fit at all. I built this to exact measurements and the middle support beam is too low and prevents 20″ wheels to fit in all the way. If you move the middle support beam up enough to fit, the 2×2 “wheel holders” will no longer line up. Also, the 2 1/2″ between the 2x2s is too big of a gap. Reduce to 2″ or else the bikes will flop over and lean to the sides.

Meredith says

Built it. Does not work with adult bikes unless you want to back the bikes into the rack. Then it’s works okay for 4 or 5 adult bikes. The 45 degree pieces just need to be longer. Maybe go all the way to the top part. Great design for kids though!!