How To Install A Pallet Wall The Easy Way

Install a Pallet Wall The Easy Way

Hey everyone!  I’m so excited to share this post with you today.  It’s a project that has been on my list for quite some time and I’m happy to say that I finally get to check it off!  I have been wanting to give the hallway between my boys’ bedrooms an update for a while.  It was pretty boring and I wanted it to have some interest.  It’s not a large hallway, but with our open floorplan, you see it from almost every vantage point.  I thought that a pallet wall would be the perfect solution to liven it up a bit.  The best part?  I didn’t have to break down a SINGLE pallet!  Yep, you read that right.  No prying, pounding or cutting was needed for me to get these gorgeous pallet boards.  I recently discovered that Crates and Pallet sold already broken down pallets online from Home Depot.  At $16.99 for a full pallet, it’s a bargain compared to buying an assembled pallet and breaking it down yourself.

Before I get into how I installed this pallet wall, I should inform you that I was sent these pallets and compensated for this post by Crates and Pallet.  That being said, this was a project I was planning to do anyway, and I was already going to purchase this pallet wood from Home Depot.

pallet wall - before

The hallway wall I wanted to install the pallet boards on was about 40 square feet.  Not too big, so I received four whole broken down pallets to work with.

Before I got started, I sanded all of the boards down with 220 grit sandpaper.  I wanted to get off any of the rough spots so my boys didn’t end up with splinters if they rubbed (or pushed each other) against the wall.

Before you install the pallet boards, you want to paint the wall they’re going on a dark color.  Pallets are not perfect and no matter how hard you try, there will be a gap or two here and there.  The dark wall color hides those gaps for you.  I happened to have some black paint in my garage cabinet so I grabbed it and quickly painted the wall.  I didn’t even do that good of a job, just a quick single coat.

You don’t need many materials to install the boards.  I used liquid nails and my brad nailer.  On the other side of this wall is my boys’ bathroom and I didn’t want to recreate the great flood of 2010 when we hit our water main while installing chair railing in my youngest’s bedroom, so I went with shorter brad nails (1 1/4″) to avoid hitting the plumbing in the wall.  Really, I just wanted them to hold the boards in place until the liquid nails dried.  Keep in mind that this method means that you’ll be replacing your drywall if you ever decide to take it down.

beginning-pallet-wall-installI started from the ceiling and worked my way down.  I knew that I wouldn’t have a whole piece when I finished this and I preferred that it be at the bottom rather than the top of the wall.

edited-0861 edited-0862

I worked my way down the wall, trying to make sure that I changed things up with the pattern to make it as random as I could.  The pallet boards aren’t all the same width, so you want to be careful not to get too carried away with installing the whole boards and cutting later.  I ended up having to rip some of the boards down to make them the correct width.  Some of the boards were in great shape and some were pretty rough, so I used those uneven or broken pieces when I needed to rip something down.

I tried to mix up the colors as much as possible and keep the boards level.  I didn’t grab my level too often, but sometimes I’d check if things looked off.  When it was finished, I ended up with a 2 1/2″ strip on the bottom of the wall that I needed to rip the boards down to fit.  I chose to keep the baseboard on the wall, but it’s just personal preference.

I got pretty lucky with the thermostat on the wall.  Working my way from the ceiling, it ended right at the top of the thermostat.  I had to make just a couple of little cuts to fit the boards around it, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

edited-0337 edited-0339

The finished wall looks better than I even imagined!  I find myself staring at it every time I walk by.  It adds so much dimension to this hallway and actually makes the ceiling look taller!  I love the random colors and weathered look of the boards.  My favorite is the weathered grey oak piece in the middle.  I’m definitely happy about the fact that I didn’t have to break down any of the pallets for this project.  It made the job so much easier.  I spaced it out over two days (paint one day, pallets the next), but that was more because I was working on 10 projects at once.  Realistically, this entire project could be finished in just one day.  I’m even thinking I’ll order some more for a few other walls in my house.

I have even more plans for this hallway that I can’t wait to share with you, so stay tuned!

DISCLOSURE:  I was provided products and compensation for this post.  I would not share a product with you that I did not truly believe in and all opinions of this product are 100% my own.  This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.  Please click to read my full disclosure statement.

With the liquid nails are you able to hang anything on these boards? I have a huge frame and long horn skull I would like to put up on the wood wall. I just don’t want them falling on me in the middle of the night since they will be over my bed.

What I would be sure to do is make sure the the nails (screws would be great too) go into studs. At least for that area. Liquid nails holds pretty firm, especially if you use enough of it. We had to do some extensive drywall repair in our house after taking down shelves that the previous owners attached with liquid nails and screws.

Kellie says

I just adore this look. I’m hoping to re-do my bathroom before long and I thought about doing this on the wall behind the toilet. I’ve seen another one like that and it’s about 3 ft wide so I could get a good feel if I really like it (I know I will). Thanks for your instructions and the info about the broken down pallets. That will make it handy. Love your site.

Jay Greg says

Why would you buy pallets for $16.99? I just went to a store yesterday and got 88 for FREE!!! Yes, I do need to tear them down but for $16.99 per pallet I will gladly tear them down myself. And if you want any torn down let me know and I will tear them down for cheaper than you can buy them for at Home Depot!!!

Lou says

Hi Katie

I checked this post out since I’ve been wanting to do something with the wall behind my bed.

The only pallets I’ve come across in Australia are all one colour- one type of wood (boring!). The ones you’ve used have an amazing variety of woods and colours. I really like the top two rows and then some of the more ash grey ones further down. For some reason, in the photos, the lighter coloured, narrow strip just below the control panel really bothers me. Does it bother you? Have you been tempted to darken it at all?

We don’t have anywhere to get stripped down pallets here so I was kind of hoping your post was going to tell me how to use pallets without tearing them apart. I really couldn’t imagine it and didn’t expect to see that they were bought that way. I must say, it was a little disappointing, though the rest of the post and the finished product was worth the read.

I’m not planning on using pallets. Instead I want to use fence palings. (I’m going to use the fence palings for some outdoor projects too- since they are already weathered.) We have an abundance of old wooden fences here that seem to be gradually being replaced with aluminium fences (yuk!).

For the bedroom wall I’m going to build a frame that I can attach to the wall studs and then nail the boards to the frame. I have concrete walls so I can’t really just nail straight into them. I’d have to drill and put screws in- too much bother. Also, I figure it will be easier to install onto a frame if I want to remove it later.

I just hope mine turns out as well as yours.

cheerio, Lou

Bryan says

Were four full pallets enough to do your 40 sqft wall? Do you think i could get away with 9 full pallets for a 90 sqft project?

I used 3 boxes of the pallet wood, which is supposed to equal out to three pallets. If you are ordering the broken down pallets, I would say you can easily get by with 8 or so boxes. That being said, it’s always good to err on the side of caution. Worst case scenario, you take an unopened box back to Home Depot:)

I left them. You don’t see them and it’s so rustic that it doesn’t take away from the wall at all:)

Wow, why would you pay $17.00 & tax for broken down pallet wood? What a joke. Do CL search, a bazillion pallets for free anywhere in/near any metropolitan area, Takes a whole 5 minutes to break one pallet down, tops.

Brian says

Looks fantastic! Though I do have to say, the idea of spending $17 on 1 pallet instead of taking the 5 or so minutes to break down as many free pallets as you can find is a bit puzzling. :-) One tip for others that are planning to do this; instead of using liquid nails and brads, simply mark the walls with pencil where the studs are and nail the boards directly into them (you won’t find plumbing inside of a stud). You won’t need anymore than 4 nails per piece of wood, and if you plan out the wall ahead of time, you’ll be sure to nail into 2 studs for each board. We did a wall in our bedroom this way and it looks great as well, and, we won’t have to replace the drywall when, and if, we decide to take it down. Lot’s of spackling though! :-)

D Baker says

The dumpster dive is what adds to the appeal of this diy. Your looks great. I found my pallets behind whole foods and pets mart. Spent a lil time breaking them done and went for it!

Hi I am the Marketing Assistant at Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Michigan. We have a recycled pallet cash competition fundraiser called PalletPalooza –

I have been making a few things out of pallets for inspiration pieces for this event and my kids told me to do a pallet wall for our kitchen. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am going to share it on twitter and I hope to give it a try myself. It would fit it good with my farmhouse. :)

Roger says

I am currently working on an accent wall as well. I have been going to industrial and construction sites for the pallets. I found that the older the pallets which are ones they throw away since they cannot be used any longer are the best ones. They weather to different shades of grey, very similar to barn board. A light coat of semi-gloss verathane also brings out the colour.