DIY Tiered Water Fountain

How to easily create your own beautiful water feature

Happy Mother’s Day!  I hope all of you moms out there are enjoying your day!  This year my husband spoiled me with not one, but two gifts!  He bought me the dining set I’d been wanting for our front courtyard, but then we found a deal for a larger dining set for the backyard and he got that too!  We aren’t done with the backyard yet, but it was on clearance at Home Depot for more than half of the regular price!  It was just too good of a deal to pass up.

We have been working for the past few months to finally get some landscaping done and I am so happy to say that the front yard is virtually done!  One of my favorite parts of our front yard is this tiered water fountain.  I got the inspiration for this project from the tutorial on Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom.  I showed my husband and he agreed that it would be great in the courtyard.  I built this fountain almost a year ago, but I wanted to wait to share it until our landscaping was finally done.  Yes, it took a while for that to happen.  We have a HUGE yard and we had a hard time committing to a landscaping plan.  I’ll apologize now for not having as many step-by-step pictures as I would have liked.  It’s pretty easy though.

DIY Tiered Water Fountain | Addicted 2 DIY

I bought the pots from Lowes.  They weren’t super cheap ($22-$39), but compared to purchasing a fountain, it was a bargain.  I originally bought two pots (the largest and smallest ones they had), but our courtyard alone is massive.  It would have completely swallowed the fountain if we left it that small, so I ended up going back and getting a third pot.

IMG_0175-edited

We happened to have a roll of 1/2″ rubber hose on hand already, so that was a bonus!  I bought the water pump from Harbor Freight for $5.  For the bottom pot, I had to drill a hole large enough to feed the plug for the pump through.  Per the original tutorial, they used silicone to fill the holes.  I did the same, but it just wouldn’t work for me.  I don’t know if it was because it was July and 110 degrees outside, but 48 hours later, the silicone was just as tacky as when I squeezed it out of the tube.  I cleaned it off and ended up using a two part epoxy putty to fill the holes.  It worked great and there were no leaks!

IMG_0187-edited

For the next two pots, I did the same thing and drilled holes as close as I could to the bottoms of the pots.  I then fed the 1/2″ hose through the pots.  I waited to trim the hose until I had everything placed just right.  To stack the pots, I used some extra pavers we had lying around.

IMG_0197-edited

I got it out to the front yard and set it up exactly where I wanted it.  There wouldn’t be any moving it after it was filled with rocks.  After I leveled the pots for even water trickling, the boys and I set out on an adventure to find rocks all over the yard to fill the pots.  Given that we live in the desert and didn’t have any landscaping, we had quite the pick of rocks from around the yard.  I filled it up and plugged it in and it worked perfectly!  Then came the wait for landscaping:)

IMG_6983-edited

DIY Tiered Water Fountain

DIY Tiered Water Fountain

I’m so happy that we finally finished our landscaping so that we can properly show this off.  It looks so good in the courtyard and I love hearing the faint bubbling of the water.  The boys love watching birds landing in it to take baths or drink water.  I’ll be sharing the rest of the front yard transformation with you soon.  It was so much work, but we love how it all looks now.

~Katie

Linking up to these parties:

Tiny SidekickLil’ Luna

Comments

Thanks! I agree that it is hard to find a good fountain and this version is WAY cheaper. Even being a resin material, it still held up in full sun for almost a year and looks brand new.

says

Katie! LOVE THIS!! I’ve desperate for a fountain in our patio bed… a few questions for you, girl… 1. did you run an extension chord or do you have this hardwired? We don’t have an outlet our back so that’s been a factor, but I think there’s a way to run an extension cord…. as for water…. does it just recycle itself and you top it off occasionally or is there a well? Sorry… I came over from Hometalk and skimmed because I was SO excited for this tutorial!!!

Thank you, Charlotte! We placed an outlet on the wall somewhat near the fountain. We needed it for our landscape lighting as well. The cord for the pump reaches the outlet, but it isn’t quite long enough to sit completely on the ground. We’re planning to splice the wires to extend the cord, although I may just try to find a short extension cord and tape the plug ends together to make them water tight and then bury it under the rocks. In regards to the water, it just recycles itself. The pump is all of the way at the bottom of the large pot, so if the water gets a little low it will still work. I fill it every day with water. It seems to evaporate quickly here because we have so much wind and it is so hot. One of our neighbors does the same with his fountain as well, so I guess it’s just a normal thing here in AZ. We ran one of our drip lines into the fountain to fill it when the plants get watered, but they are only watered every third day, so it doesn’t help me too much. Let me know if you have any other questions! Oh and one more thing…I also put a few drops of algaecide in there once a week to prevent any nasty buildup.

Michelle says

Just curious as to what size pump you are using (gallons per hour). I am wanting to do this myself and only want the water to slightly bubble and trickle over, not spray up. But I also want to get one that is powerful enough that I don’t have to replace it after a short time of use.

Your fountain is gorgeous and is just what I’ve been looking for!

Thanks!

jeff says

wondering about the sound the fountain makes. Seems like the water would just travel down the sides of the pots until it flows into the next pot, as compared to dripping to get the tranquil sound i’m looking for. Wonder too if the outside texture of the pots influence how the water flows down the outside of the pots. Definitely want the dripping fountain sounds.

It makes a faint bubbling sound, not the dripping fountain sound you’d be after. What you could do is always purchase pots that have a lip on them which would cause the water to drip over vs. flow down the sides. Of course now that kind of makes me want to build one like that too! :)