DIY Painted Kitchen Towels {with free SVG files}

DIY Painted Kitchen Towels 3Hey everyone!  Today I’m sharing my latest project that features a little kitchen humor.  While country music is definitely my all-time favorite, I like to consider myself well-rounded when it comes to music.  I pretty much like everything.  I thought it would be fun to make some kitchen towels that had a funny musical twist to them.  Enter Michael Jackson’s “Beat It,”  Devo’s “Whip It,” and Snoop Dogg’s “Drop It Like It’s Hot.”  I changed them up to have a kitchen reference (although Weird Al Yankovic did sing “Just Eat It”) and created some fun stencils to make kitchen towels.  I’ve included the links for the free SVG files I made for these stencils at the bottom of this post.

Here’s what you’ll need:

3 kitchen towels (I got a 4 pack of floursack towels at Target for about $3.50)

1 bottle of fabric paint (I used Americana multi-surface paint)

1 – 24″ sheet of vinyl

1 foam paint brush or stencil brush

DIY Painted Kitchen TowelsFirst I cut my design out on my Cricut and then centered it onto the bottom of the towel.  I also laid it out on a mat to protect the table underneath.  These towels have a fairly loose weave to them, so some of the paint definitely soaked through to the mat.

DIY Painted Kitchen Towels

DIY Painted Kitchen TowelsUsing my foam brush, I dabbed the paint onto the vinyl stencil over the entire design.

DIY Painted Kitchen TowelsOnce I painted the entire design, I carefully peeled up the vinyl.

IMG_4701-editedI used my weeding tool to peel up the centers of some of the letters.  The paint was still wet, so I had to be careful not to get any on the towel.

DIY Painted Kitchen TowelsAnd here’s the finished design!  I hung it off of the back of a chair for a while to let it try before I folded the towel.

DIY Painted Kitchen TowelsI then repeated the same steps for the other two towels.  Aren’t they fun?  I’ve now got them proudly hanging in my kitchen.

Here are the links to the SVG files to cut the stencils:

Kitchen Towels 1

Kitchen Towels 2

When you click the links, you’ll be taken to a Google Drive document.  Just click on the downward arrow in the top left-hand corner and download the file.

DIY Painted Kitchen Towels 3I hope you like them as much as I do.  I always like to find ways to add some humor into my life.  It keeps things fun!  These also make great gifts for a housewarming, Mother’s Day, or for the favorite cook/baker in your life.

~Katie

{This post contains affiliate links in which (at not extra cost to you) I will receive compensation if you order any products from the link.}

Linking up at these parties:

Just A Girl and Her BlogDelineate Your DwellingThe Pin JunkiePlay. Party. Pin.Upcycled TreasuresI Heart Naptime

Comments

I don’t, but you could always purchase stencil material and use an Xacto knife to cut the designs out and then use letter stencils. Martha Stewart sells stencil film at Michael’s. It’s a bit more labor intensive, but it should net you the same results!

KalleyC says

First, I love the music references! When I saw “whip it good” from the picture, DEVO immediately came to mind hahaha (and that’s before even reading the post). These are a great idea, and a wonderful to addition to any kitchen, especially those who love music while they work! #sitsblogging
    KalleyC recently posted…Choosing Love over HateMy Profile

Julie Jordan Scott says

I’m reminded now how much I would love a CRICUT. I should give myself some challenges so that I can justify buying such goodies. :-)

Really, these are too cute. I love how Snoop Dog was once so “out there” and now he’s mainstream. Once a flew a red eye flight from Los Angeles to New York between two men who work with Snoop. It was tough to get to sleep… just because these men were both much larger than me and carried on a conversation while I tried to shrink even more and get some zzzzs in before arriving in Boston at the end of my journey!!

:-)

Happy Middle of the Week!
    Julie Jordan Scott recently posted…Tuesday Tip for Bloggers: “Upcycle” Your Old Writing for The Joy of Writing, Rewriting, Putting Away and Revisiting Again and AgainMy Profile

That is really cool, although I’m sure a bit awkward to be stuck between them;) Thanks for stopping by!

Kim says

These are hilarious! On looks alone, they would fit into any decor and are very classic and classy, then you read the sayings and have a great chuckle. Maybe I really appreciate them because I remember every one of these songs too. Love it!
    Kim recently posted…MonstersMy Profile

Karen Cote says

Oh, I so wanna do this! How fabulous. Can it really be that easy? I’m a perfectionist who could never color within the lines. I think it has something to do with patience… lol Stopping over for some #SITSBlogging love.

Lol! I’m sure at some point I will use these, but right now they’re just so pretty and clean that I don’t want to touch them;)

Liat says

First it’s awesome! Going to make one as a present. Many thanks for sharing.
    May I ask which font did you used? I may want to create some more sayings for an matching apron.

Thank you! I wish I could remember which font I used. I want to say Georgia, but I can’t be positive.

Sandy says

I’m assuming you have to have the Explore to download the files. I can’t get them in my Craft Room. The designs are great.

I don’t have the Explore, I have an old program that allows me to cut my own images. If you do not have an Explore, or a Silhouette, you would not be able to use the downloadable SVG files. You could try to make your own using some of the Cricut images though:)

It would be pretty hard to do without a cutter, but it could be done with a craft knife. It would just be really tedious.

Which Cricut do you have? Did you get the new Explore? If so, you can just download the SVG files and use them:)