DIY Laundry Pedestal

Laundry Pedestal Pin

With the new year starting, it seems that everyone (including myself) is looking for ways to get organized. This laundry pedestal is a great start for your laundry room. My husband and I built this a year and a half ago for our new washer and dryer.  There are a lot of oddities with our house (I could go on and on), but one of them is the size of our laundry room.  At first glance, it’s a good-sized laundry room.  Unfortunately, the space where the washer and dryer go is actually very narrow.  Our old washer and dryer used to stick out so far that we could just barely close the laundry room door.  Our dryer vent hose was at an angle that probably wasn’t ideal.  My husband had wanted to purchase those expensive drawer pedestals for years, but we just couldn’t justify spending hundreds of dollars on them, and we didn’t know what we would put in those drawers.  When I showed him these plans from Ana White’s website, he was totally onboard with building our own.  We also happened to need a new washer and dryer at the time, so we went on the hunt for those as well.  Because of the location of our dryer vent in the wall, we had to find a dryer that could have the vent hose attached on the side.  We searched for weeks and happened to find the perfect set at the Best Buy near our house.  It was closing, which we hated, but it also meant that we got an awesome deal on the pair.

We got all of our materials for this project at Home Depot.  The laundry pedestal cost us around $125 to build.  That’s less than purchasing one pedestal!  You can find detailed instructions for these plans here.

Laundry Pedestal Frame

We started by building two frames.  The top frame (the one that the washer and dryer sit on) will have more center supports than the bottom frame (pictured).

IMG_0277-edited

We squared everything up and screwed the frame together with 3″ wood screws.  If you have a Kreg Jig (which we didn’t have at the time), you can also drill 1 1/2″ pocket holes and attach everything with 2 1/2″ pocket screws.

IMG_0278-edited

We cut our plywood pieces to size and snapped some chalk lines, then screwed them down with 1 1/2″ wood screws.

I got caught up in the moment and didn’t take any pictures of the next few steps.  After the two frames were done, we attached the 4×4 pieces following the plan instructions and then filled all of the screw holes with wood putty.

IMG_0285-edited

The wood soaked up the paint like crazy, so we used two coats to paint the whole pedestal.  After painting it, we attached the trim pieces with caulk and finish nails and then painted those as well.

IMG_0286-edited

We couldn’t wait to get the pedestal in our laundry room.

IMG_3681-edited

Now we don’t have to worry about our dryer hose being kinked at an odd angle.  It sits nicely on the side of the dryer. Laundry Pedestal

I got the laundry baskets at Walmart and then I used some vinyl to cut letters out to label the baskets.  The best part is that my kids now sort their own laundry!  It makes my life so much easier to be able to ask them to do that before I start a load.  Plus, we now have a place to put dirty towels as well.  Plus, I can just prop the big laundry basket right up to the dryer and take clothes out.  I seriously love this thing.  We’ve actually made a second one as a gift for friends and they love it too.

As always, if you have any questions about the project, I’d love to answer them.  If you are thinking of buying those expensive pedestals, this option, in my opinion, is so much more functional.  Please feel free to share, pin, like, etc!

~Katie

{This post may contain product links in which, if you purchase anything from those links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.}

You can find me over at these link parties:

East Coast Creative

alt=”ThePinJunkie” width=”150″ height=”150″ />

ThePinJunkie

Just a Girl and Her Blog
Do Tell Tuesday

Whipperberry

Comments

Thanks! We had looked at top load when we were buying these, but my husband and I really wanted them on pedestals.

Not really, because our washer and dryer are balanced well. Sometimes if there is something in the washer that is overly heavy or bulky (like a load of jeans), it will make some noise, but for the most part I hardly notice it.

says

I love the idea and concept of this. It would help alot with keep everything organised instead of looking like a tornado hit. I would love if you would come link this up at our Wednesday party.

says

I LOVE this! I bought my new washer and dryer the day after we moved into our new house because the previous owner’s existing washer stopped working. I got a fabulous deal on the pair I wanted in a beautiful blue. The only problem was that they didn’t have the pedestals in blue. They said I could get them in red or white. So I went with out. I mentioned building a pedestal ourselves to the husband but he just rolled his eyes. I’m totally showing this to him as soon as he gets home! Thanks so much for the how-to!
    Bonnie @ Our Secondhand House recently posted…New Kitchen FaucetMy Profile

This was seriously so easy to make and WAY cheaper than buying a pedestal. I know people that have the pedestals and they have no clue what to put in the drawers, or they forget they have stuff in them. Having the baskets underneath makes this so great for laundry sorting!

says

So handy Katie- I love it! I had this on my laundry room wish list last year when we ‘did’ the laundry room but I also wanted to be able to use the top of the machines as a counter surface because it is a laundry/mud room combo so I had to forgo these. Wish I didn’t have to – they are so practical!! Thanks for the tutorial- I am pinning it:)
    Krista @thehappyhousie recently posted…Work it Wednesday {features} and Two Amazing Giveaways!My Profile

Thanks Krista! I do love countertops above the washer and dryer, but we actually have a decent amount of counter space in the laundry room. It’s ugly, but until we get to the point of remodeling the laundry room, it’s what we’ve got to deal with;)

Ladean says

I absolutely LOVE this idea! My w&d are in the basement which tends to flood so I thought maybe we could use this idea and just make the 4×4′s a little taller….oh and my husband says in grounded from your site cuz that means more work for him! Ha Ha! Love it!!! :)

Lol! Your husband and my husband sound like they would get along. I get an eye roll with every new project I throw at him;) you could make the 4x4s taller, but keep in mind that this pedestal is already taller than the standard pedestals you would purchase. This puts the washer and dryer about 19″ off the ground. Just an FYI:)

says

Hey there! Just found your site via a post shared by Kreg Tools on Facebook. Nice work! Mind if I share this article in my “interesting stuff from around the web” series? Great project Katie!

Gary says

Since my family is taller we got the pedistals with our set 8 years ago. Having said that I can see how this under everything could help with space a ton and eleminate the clutter that naturally happens on top otherwise. It will also make it easier to get to the dryer bottom panals to open it up for its semi-annual cleaning, and any repair work to the element, since it will be further off the floor.

Thanks for stopping by! It also makes the monthly cleaning of the washing machine filter and draining the water much easier to have it elevated this much. We love how functional it is and are so glad we built it.

says

Thank you for sharing this project. I’m definitely building this for our laundry room! We had our washer and dryer stacked, but then, when we got a new washer that is a different brand than our dryer, we had to unstack them. Since then, our little laundry room is quite cramped. I can’t wait to try this! Thanks again.
    Karen @ Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza recently posted…Scene on Saturday: Wishful ThinkingMy Profile

I hope you like it! I am definitely glad we went this route instead of buying some. Thanks for stopping by! I’ll be visiting your blog next:)

says

This is brilliant. I bought some of the super expensive pedestals that matched my washer a dryer and have yet to use them a single time. This is such a better idea because I could use the space below for clothes.

Thank you, Stephanie! That was one of the things that stopped us from buying them. I wasn’t sure what I would put in the drawers.

says

I LOVE how this turned out! It’s crazy how expensive those pedestals are! I’m pinning this for when we get a new dryer and washer. Thanks for sharing how you made this!
    I would love it if you’d link this up to the Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop–we love seeing awesome projects like this!
    Carrie This Home recently posted…Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop 63My Profile

says

Hi Katie, I absolutely love the laundry pedestal that you made – it’s so much nicer (and sturdier I’ll bet) than the store bought metal ones. Kudo’s on a job very well done. You’ve inspired me.

I am new to DIY and have never used power tools (Yikes!). I was hoping you would be kind enough to answer a couple questions for me …
    One – did you use a nail gun or just an old fashioned hammer and nails?
    Two – did you cut all the wood at home or get the hardware store to do it. Someone told me that you could get them to do all the cuts for you? True or False?

Thanks so much
    Nancy
    Nancy recently posted…WordGirl …My Profile

Hi Nancy! I’d be happy to answer your questions. We didn’t use a nail gun. We used a drill/screwdriver and wood screws. I highly recommend using a Kreg Jig for projects like this though. It allows you to have good solid wood joints and you don’t have screws to try to hide later. Plus the Kreg Jig saves us a lot from the wood splitting like it would with traditional screw joints. We purchased our wood from Home Depot and had them cut the majority of it. At the time, we didn’t have a saw big enough to cut the 4×4 legs. They have always been great about cutting wood for us (Lowes too). It’s especially convenient for them to cut the plywood.

Michele b says

Love this pedestal and would love to have it, but I am afraid that it would make the machine too high for me to put my laundry soap into the dispenser. I guess we will have to measure it out and see!